Here are the figures from last general election:
- Datuk Seri Wan Azizah won with a convincing 13,388 majority (garnered 30,338 votes).
- Datuk Pirdaus garnered 16,950 votes for BN in the Permatang Pauh Parliamentary seat contest.
- Datuk Ariff Shah won the Seberang Jaya DUN with a 533 majority. He secured 9,395 votes from 18,479 total votes. However, he won the same seat in 2004 with a big majority of 4,464. Hmmmmm big reduction there......
Figures from the Permatang Pauh by-election:
- DSAI won with a 15,671 majority votes.
- Voters turn out less by 1.9%
- Datuk Ariff secured 15,524 votes.
What does all this mumbo jumbo say? It's close to status quo. There's a slight reduction in BN support and slight increase in DSAI's support but there's also reduction in turn out (working day for outstation folks?). However, Datuk Ariff's numbers at DUN level is quite impressive considering it's in Anwar's territory.
In conclusion the sons of Permatang Pauh favor Datuk Ariff as a local hero, but at national level, they rather have DSAI to put up a good fight at Parliament. ok what's next, Budget 2009?
Hey wait a sec, isn't it National day in a few days?! Happy National Day from South China Sea!
(Some pictures taken from Rocky's bru)